Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Bird Has It


It has taken me a while to begin to figure out what direction my art was going to take. I'm not a classically trained artist, I just know I like color, whimsy and some kind of mixed media. In the beginning I really didn't think my art had much appeal since drawing is not my forte, but the more I got into the fun of it all, the more I realized that you can create art you are proud of without having to be a great at the pen and pencil aspect. I assume some of the great abstract artist aren't too concerned with the details as they're throwing cans of paint at a blank canvas.
And so a passion was born. I create mostly ACEO's (Art Cards Editions and Originals) and have sold some of my original art on Ebay and Etsy. My little creations are made from my original watercolor paintings that have been embellished with things like beads, glitter, sequins, words, dimensional adhesive, markers, and anything else I can get my hands on. The bird above has been sold on Ebay, but was one of the first in the bird series. My favorite subjects are the birds, the martini glasses, and letters. Occasionally I'll play around with themes like flowers or love. As soon as I can figure out how to create a slide show, I'll post one of the martini glasses.
As much as I'd like to say that my only occupation is my art, unfortunately, other responsibilities take priority forcing me to have a variety of occupations...parent, office manager for two companies (one my husband and I own), chauffeur, and board member for two organizations. My dream is that someday my work will have validation by those other than my family who have a vested interest in pacifying me and that maybe I can just create art, write a blog, market myself and make a little money. My other dream is to win an incredibly large lottery pot, save my older daughter's high school band program, send my younger daughter to the Olympics on the US Figure Skating team, and buy a small Carribean island where I can sit back and drink Coronas while watching the sun set over the blue green waters. Hmmm...I wonder how MY life's going to play out. For now, I'm just glad to dabble a little and see where it takes me (the lottery wouldn't be bad either).
Dot

No comments:

Post a Comment